12/24/2006

Religion and Misunderstanding

I haven't written in quite a while, and I have two ideas. I'll save one for tomorrow.

With the holiday I've noticed religion a lot more recently, specifically Christianity. It seemed a little odd to me to see wreaths at work and in other offices after coming from a college where secular humanist approach was taken to... well just about everything. At our Christmas party the owner of the clinic made a speech, and in it he said something to the point of "at the clinic we all must remember and believe that this time of year is about Christ." I suppose I should have known it was coming, but it was still surprising to me.

In the midst of all of my personal frustration with the rather evangelical nature of Christmas, driving yesterday I heard this story. Last week's show called "Shouting Across the Divide."
I was appalled and really disappointed by the Serry and Chloe's stories. Even though this country has good ideas about freedom and what every person's rights are, we don't always live by or even consider these founding ideals. It breaks my heart that this continued for so long. It infuriates me that her teacher was able to continue teaching. I don't understand how this can happen. I have been through "diversity training" before, and I always think it is a load of crap, but maybe that's because to me it just seems like common sense to me. I guess it really isn't though to a good portion of our population if something like this could happen, and no other parents would object.

No comments: